Across the globe the number of Game Stop store locations has been decreasing with 52 stores being closed over the last year. The company has also opened 13 stores but according to statements by the company they expect the downsizing to continue with a 2% decrease expected over the next year. The numbers for the U.S. were 46 store locations closed and 7 new locations opening shop. The company noted decreased earnings over the last quarter which ended August 3rd and it is hoping numbers will improve towards the end of the year with upcoming releases of the new consoles like the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and their games and the company expects this holiday season to be the largest console launch period of gaming history.
- GameStop Expo offers taste of next-gen games (heraldonline.com)
- 52 GameStop Stores Have Closed In Just Three Months (bagogames.com)
- Surprise! All GameStop general managers will get a free Xbox One as well (neowin.net)
- Xbox One, Ps4, Gamestop (tzdoesit609.wordpress.com)
- GameStop’s Latest Pricing Has Players Up In Arms (gadgetreview.com)